Wenatchee Area Genealogical Society
 Filter List by County / Region:

Select Cemetery:
Search for Surname:  Perform Search -- Input all or part of Surname, if left blank - all records will be returned.
Return to Cemeteries

 

Cashmere Indian Cemetery aka Old Missionary Cemetery
(Chelan)
Cashmere, WA 98815 USA
THE SURNAME SEARCH AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IS UNAVAILABLE.  TO VIEW CEMETERY RECORDS CLICK ON THE BLUE CEMETERY LINK BELOW.  
 
Lat: 47º 31' 13" N, Lon: 120º 27' 10" W 
T23N R19E SEC 3
Fred Pflugrath fplug@nwi.net  Last corrections to the list made by Fred Pflugrath on 22 Mar 2004. Location updated by Dick and Paula Banning Sep. 2006
 
The cemetery was built in the outskirts of Cashmere. It was established in 1867. Mr. Kuelbs said that some Indians during this time were buried by their families and no record was kept by the mortician. Some burials are listed from the Tribal list. (Notation by Bill & Janice Yacinich.)
Information contributed by Bill & Janice Yacinich from a list submitted by Mr. Kuelbs, Cashmere Mortician. Indexed by Joanne & Marion Calhoun.

The cemetery is located about.2 miles east of Cashmere at the corner of Mt. Stuart Drive (old Hwy 2/97) and Eels Road. Below is a composite of the readings, research and newspaper articles of those buried in the cemetery. A copy of these articles, obits, and clippings are available at the WAGS Library in Wenatchee. The cemetery was dedicated in 1868. The cemetery was surveyed and platted Jan 2 & 4, 1951 by P Barber, District Engineer. The spelling of names is questionable. The last correction to this list was 22 Mar 2004 by Fred Pflugrath. Any corrections please let Fred know. Thanks. Additional information is from Fred Harvey, Curator, Cashmere Museum.
 
From the intersection of Hwy 2 and Hwy 97 with Cottage Ave. in Cashmere, go north about 150 feet, then turn east (right).  Go east approximately 0.2 mile.  The cemetery is on the right.  A large stone marker is along the road.  The cemetery is fenced with the grave markers visible.
 
Alternate Driving Directions: The cemetery is located .8 miles west on Pioneer Avenue from Cashmere Middle School. Turn right (south) on Wohler for about 100 feet and turn right (west) on Hazel Place.  Go up Hazel Place about .1 mile and turn left (south) and go up the dirt road to the top of the hill. The cemetery is enclosed in chain link fence with a gate. # denotes that records show that they were buried in the cemetery and then moved to the Cashmere Cemetery.  There were 4 graves marked with a red stone - no inscriptions.  There were possibly other unmarked graves. 
 
One of the first settlers in the Wenatchee area was a priest in the mid 1850s.  He built a mission near this spot and set out to witness to the American Indians in the area.  Cashmere was known as "Old Mission", or "Mission" for almost a hundred years until it's name was changed to Cashmere.  This marker shows the spot where the Indian Cemetery is, that was attached to the Mission.  The marker says that the cemetery was established in 1867.  The marker shown at the right is in front of the cemetery, and you can go inside the fence and walk around the cemetery and see the old headstones. Some of them are quite new.  The cemetery is maintained by a couple of brothers who are members of the Colville Indian Reservation. - Source Washington Historical Markers on Waymarking.com.
 
The Old Missionary Indian Cemetery was built in the outskirts of Cashmere. It was established in 1867.  Some Indians during this time were buried by their families and no record was kept by the mortician. Some burials are listed from the Tribal list. (Notation by Bill & Janice Yacinich.) Information contributed by Bill & Janice Yacinich from a list submitted by Mr. Kuelbs, Cashmere Mortician. Indexed by Joanne & Marion Calhoun.
 
 
 
Headstone of Ben Wapato Photo courtesy of Dick and Paula Banning (WAGS)
Headstone of John Harmelt Photo courtesy of Dick and Paula Banning (WAGS)
"Near this marker is the site of Old Missionary Indian Cemetery established in 1867." Photo courtesy of Dick and Paula Banning (WAGS)