Wenatchee Area Genealogical Society
 Filter List by County / Region:

Select Cemetery:
Search for Surname:  Perform Search -- Input all or part of Surname, if left blank - all records will be returned.
Return to Cemeteries

 

Mt. Olivet Cemetery
(Chelan)
Chelan, WA 98816 USA
THE SURNAME SEARCH AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IS UNAVAILABLE.  TO VIEW CEMETERY RECORDS CLICK ON THE BLUE CEMETERY LINK BELOW.
 
Indexed by Joanne and Marion Calhoun.
T27N R23E SEC 7
Located about one half mile northeast of Chelan on Hwy 97A.
 
Many of the interred have been moved to the Fraternal Cemetery. John Preston's grave was still in this cemetery on of 1965 when the photo of his upright stone was taken.  There are supposedly some other markers still visible.
 
WAGS Cemetery Book for Mt. Olivet has some very interesting stories, facts, etc.told by Don Mathers.  The cemetery was known as Chelan Cemetery and was owned by the Episcopal Log Church ( later St. Andrew Episcopal Church) and had at least 20 graves in the 1890s.  It was located above the Chelan Orchard Co. along the road toward Pateros. In 1901 a cemetery board was formed and site became formally known as Mt. Olivet. Only three of the graves had stone markers - all the other were wood.  The cemetery was swept twice by fire and all the wooden markers were destroyed.  The church decided to abandon the cemetery in the 1920s and graves were disinterred and moved to Fraternal Cemetery in Chelan with the last one moved in the 1960s.
 
Don tells the story about one of the remaining stone markers being a double stone of Hess and Morgan that was at one time in Don's garage.  He also tells of a single grave of Patrick J. McCarty who died Nov 1899 at 33 year of age whose burial was on a hillside back of Chelan Apple Co. about one mile northeast of the rodeo grounds along the radio transmission tower and can be reached by driving up past the old Herman Schultz place